TBA pm - TBA pm
TBA pm - TBA : 20 pm
Colloquium: Elizabeth Titcomb, HBOI Dolphin Program
2 pm - 3 : 20 pm
- Congratulations to Meagan Weisner, whose grant proposal entitled “Examining the Relationships between Socioeconomic Deprivation and Drinking Water Quality: Identifying Inequities in Palm Beach County, FL” was funded by the 2017 Walter & Lalita Janke Foundation Innovations in Sustainability Science Research Fund
- Congratulations to PhD student Molly Smith who won the second place of Illustrated Paper Award of RSSG at AAG last week. Her paper is entitled as “Sand Analysis Using a Combined Spectroscopic and Microscopic Technique”
- Congratulations to our students who receivedawards at the American Shore & Beach Preservation Association (ASBPA). Julie Cisneros wins 2017 ASBPA Educational Award. Corey Aitken wins 2017 ASBPA Nicholas Kraus Coastal Scholar Award.
- Doyle, K and Hindle, T. 2017. An Examination of Wildlife Crime on the Treasure Coast: Do Crime Detection Rates Differ on Conservation Lands?
Liu, W., and Li, X., 2016. Life Cycle Characteristics of Warm-Season Severe Thunderstorms in Central United States from 2010 to 2014.
- Briggs, T.M.R., and Elko, N., 2016. Natural and Human-Induced Dynamics on Big Hickory Island, Florida.
- Zhang, C., D. Selch, and H. Cooper, 2016. A Framework to Combine Three Remotely Sensed Data Sources for Vegetation Mapping in the Central Florida Everglades.
Department of Geosciences
Florida Atlantic University
777 Glades Road, Boca Raton, FL 33431
About the Program and Industry
The Department of Geosciences at Florida Atlantic University is housed on the Boca Raton campus and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in various subfields of the geosciences. The three main areas of focus in the department are earth systems science, human-environmental systems and geo-information science.
We are proud of the research specialties that we have developed in hydrogeology, paleontology and paleo-environments, human-environmental modeling, and urban and regional development. The Department places a strong emphasis on fieldwork, GIS, remote sensing and other analytical techniques in geospatial modeling, and encourages interdisciplinary research.
NEW: Online Programs
Geosciences now offers a fully online B.A. in Geography that will give students an understanding of not only where phenomena are located upon the Earth’s surface, but how they came to be there. Geographic Information Sciences (GIS) is emphasized to analyze these spatial relationships.
Also available to all students are fully online GIS Certificates.
Ph.D. Student Hannah Cooper a coastal geographer and Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Geosciences at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) has officially accepted a tenure-track assistant professor position at Eastern Carolina University. She will join ECU this Fall 2018! Congratulations Hannah!
Faculty and Student Research
FAU Student Wins Top Prize at LSSF!
FAU undergraduates presented their research at the Life Sciences of South Florida Undergraduate Research Symposium (LSSF). The symposium took place at Broward College, North Campus and showcased the scientific work of undergraduates from all over South Florida. Congratulations to Sarah Mitchell, who is mentored by Dr. Xavier Comas and Dr. Evelyn Frazier, for winning the first place poster award at LSSF! Sarah’s presentation was titled Investigating Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) Limitations and Potential for Detection of Gopher Tortoise Subsurface Nests
Simple Tactic Results in Dramatic Water Conservation
Rain or shine has new meaning thanks to an innovative, inexpensive and simple tactic developed by Tara Root, Ph.D. and Felicia D. Survis, PhD. at Florida Atlantic University that will really change how people think about watering their lawns. The tactic? A straightforward road sign. Results of their study are published in the current issue of the Journal of Environmental Management .