Colloquium: : Yan Yao: Geographically Weighted Spatial Modelling of Sediment Quality in Lake Okeechobee, Florida
2 pm - 3 : 20 pm
Colloquium: Dr. Josiah Strauss
2 pm - 3 : 20 pm
Colloquium: Tara Brenner: Offshore Borrow Area Development
2 pm - 3 : 20 pm
Will Warren (MS Geology) won the "Best Student Poster" contest at the Florida Shore & Beach Preservation Association's National Technical Conference in Stuart, Florida yesterday (see image attached).
- Congratulations to our students who receivedawards at the American Shore & Beach Preservation Association (ASBPA). Julie Cisneros wins 2017 ASBPA Educational Award. Corey Aitken wins 2017 ASBPA Nicholas Kraus Coastal Scholar Award.
Dr. Comas will be the new president-elect for the near surface focus group of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) starting in 2017. Congratulations!
- Dr. Tiffany Roberts-Briggs receives the 2016 American Shore & Beach Preservation Association Award’s Committee (ASBPA) Member of the Year Award
- Liu, W., and Li, X., 2016. Life Cycle Characteristics of Warm-Season Severe Thunderstorms in Central United States from 2010 to 2014.
- Briggs, T.M.R., and Elko, N., 2016. Natural and Human-Induced Dynamics on Big Hickory Island, Florida.
- Zhang, C., 2016. Multiscale Quantification of Urban Composition from EO-1/Hyperion Data Using Object-based Spectral Unmixing.
- Zhang, C., D. Selch, and H. Cooper, 2016. A Framework to Combine Three Remotely Sensed Data Sources for Vegetation Mapping in the Central Florida Everglades.
Department of Geosciences
Florida Atlantic University
777 Glades Road, Boca Raton, FL 33431
About the Program and Industry
The Department of Geosciences at Florida Atlantic University is housed on the Boca Raton campus and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in various subfields of the geosciences. The three main areas of focus in the department are earth systems science, human-environmental systems and geo-information science.
We are proud of the research specialties that we have developed in hydrogeology, paleontology and paleo-environments, human-environmental modeling, and urban and regional development. The Department places a strong emphasis on fieldwork, GIS, remote sensing and other analytical techniques in geospatial modeling, and encourages interdisciplinary research.
Storm-induced Coastal Morphodynamics
The Intimate Relationship of Plants and People
Dr. Maria Fadiman, Associate Professor in the Department of Geosciences and National Geographic Emerging Explorer gave a TEDx Talk in Cancun,
watch here. GRCC Geography professor Michael DeVivo talks about the career of geography with Dr. Maria Fadiman of Florida Atlantic University, watch here
FAU Student Wins Top Prize at LSSF!
FAU undergraduates presented their research at the Life Sciences of South Florida Undergraduate Research Symposium (LSSF). The symposium took place at Broward College, North Campus and showcased the scientific work of undergraduates from all over South Florida. Congratulations to Sarah Mitchell, who is mentored by Dr. Xavier Comas and Dr. Evelyn Frazier, for winning the first place poster award at LSSF! Sarah’s presentation was titled Investigating Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) Limitations and Potential for Detection of Gopher Tortoise Subsurface Nests
FAU Undergraduates Present at Regional Research Conference.
Four FAU undergraduate students (pictured left to right) Lauren Kuzbyt, Jesse Greathouse, Mark Olson, and Michael Mahoney presented their research project entitled, Using Water Isotopes, Nutrients, and Water Level Data to Evaluate the Hydrologic Interactions Between a Constructed Wetland and Surrounding Urbanized Areas at the Southeastern Section of the Geological Society of America on April 1st, 2016. This project, under the research mentorship of Dr. Tara Root , was supported by an OURI Undergraduate Research Grant.